Monday Morning Scattershooting


Monday Morning Scattershooting while wondering if we say every cloud has a silver lining. Tell me again how a silver lining helps me?



 One thing I have learned is people are often more comfortable and responsive in a personal bible study with a member than they are with a preacher. It may be that perception that it’s the preacher’s “job” to teach while it is more personal when it is just an "ordinary" person. It makes me wonder if we should think about this in other areas as well.
 One of the most unique differences about the church of Christ compared to denominations is that the true leaders are the elders and not a singular “pastor”. Elders are not “professional” pastors, as the world perceives pastors.  They are truly shepherds that live among the sheep.  I think most folks would be shocked to find out a church where the leaders are not in it for the money or title but rather to serve for the betterment of others.  In a world that sees minsters more like a televangelist rather an evangelist, it would be a refreshing difference to see a group whose leaders are different.  The true church that isn't led by a single dictator but a group of men.
 I think we need to “publicize” this more.  Our elderships should be something we promote.  These men should already be people that are known in our communities as good men or they would not be elders in the first place (1st Timothy 3:7). The world needs to see there are those that care for souls not because it is their profession, but because they give a responsible by God. The true Lord’s church isn't just a money making scheme but something different.

  I remember several years ago I was at Polishing the Pulpit and had not picked a class to go to. The folks I was going to lunch with were going to something for the next hour, so I decided to just go into a random class to kill the time.  I happened into Matt Vega’s class on Communication: What we can learn from the business world.  It just so happened that this is one of the most useful classes I have ever heard.  I have listened to the tape[*] maybe a hundred times and each time I get something out of it.  The one thing that hit me hardest that day and still does is a line about dealing with problems in the church.  It was:
Positive messages are always more powerful that negative ones”.
I had never thought about or realized this before he said it but it was still true. Negative message may be easier or quicker or more seductive, but they never stronger than positive ones.  As a preacher, I get tempted use negative messages. It is easy to bash, and there are so many things to lash out against in our world and people will often times revel when you take it to someone. That doesn't mean you are doing your best by using negative messages. Negative messages don’t inspire people to something bigger than themselves, they don’t encourage people to be better than they are, don’t do anything but curse the dark. We need to turn on the light. The world needs a guiding light if it is going to escape the dark, it doesn't need to be told it’s dark.

Finally, three men are being interviewed for a job as an investigator.  The potential employer has them all set at a table, and asks them questions to see how see how perceptive they are.  He asks the first candidate, “Tell me something you noticed about me.”  The candidate looks him up and down and says, “You wear your hair longer than normal because you don’t have any ears.”  The employer being very sensitive about his lack of ears is offended and tells the man “I don’t think you are what we are looking for”.  He then turns to the second man and asks him the same question. The second man not wanting to make the same mistake, replies “you are normal looking chap”. The employer not wanting to hire a investigator that would say something untrue tells the second man, “I don’t think you are what we are looking for”. He then turn to the third man and asks him the same question. The third man replies,” Well you wear contact lenses”. The employer is impressed and thinks he has his man so he says “Why yes I am, how did you know that?”  The third man fires back, “how could you could wear glasses, you don’t have any ears.”




[*] OK, yes it wasn't a tape it was a CD then to a MP3 but still I call it a tape, I’m old..

Comments

Popular Posts