Maybe It’s….



  It’s clear in the scripture that complaining and fault-finding are wrong (Jude 1:15. Philippians 2:14, 1st Corinthians 10:10, James 5:9, 1st Peter 4:9). Yet, it does not seem to slow us down much.

 Why is that?

 I wonder if doesn’t come down to something I have seen over the years. I’ve noticed that people most often will find fault with you or with others when they are made cognizant of their own failures. It is a reaction to our humbling, make someone else worse. If I feel bad about “A” and I can point to another’s” B” then my “A” isn’t’ as bad. It is a defense mechanism against our pressing conscience. As long as we can “share the blame” it gives us an excuse to not have to make a change.

 Maybe that is why it is so condemned in scripture. As Jesus talked about in Matthew 7, we think seeing the speck solves having the plank. It doesn’t. Rather than seeking to justify our actions let's work to fix them.

 Next time you are tempted to find fault or complain, check your thinking. Is this about what they are doing or maybe it’s me I need to fix?

Comments

Popular Posts