Skip to main content

I Hear Voices



  I often hear voices in worship.  No, I’m not going crazy.  No, it’s not that people are bad at whispering.  It's during the singing.  It’s not, however, the people present. The voices I hear are in my head and some are the voices of people that long since passed.

  Let me explain before you think that ‘I’m not crazy’ is a mistake.  When we sing certain songs, I remember back to the church I grew up in. Some of the members there; some of our song leaders.  It might be the twang as they sang about ‘the blood drawn from Immanuel’s veins’. Or the passion in a voice when they proclaimed ‘sing and be happy’. The voices of people I grew up watching praising the Lord and setting an example that still comes back to me today

Speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord
Ephesians 5:19

  Music has a funny effect on memory.  I can’t remember what I came to the store for but somehow I can flawlessly recite some lyrics of a song I have not heard in years.  It’s not any wonder that when God wanted his people to remember something he had them learn a song (Deuteronomy 31:19).  It's not any wonder he wants us to sing to each other today.

Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God.
Colossians 3:16

  In a religious world that seems to be making worship more about entertainment than praise, the amount of encouraged participation appears to be on the decline as well. Set there and listen rather than stand and sing.  Yet this misses out on a vital part of why God wants us to sing. When we participate in signing we are setting an example, showing our hearts, teaching and admonishing each other. We are lifting up others as we lift up praises to God.


 Our voices don’t just dissipate away; they linger in the hearts and mind of others. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Know All Those Words, But That Sentence Makes No Sense To Me

  Let’s say you travel back in time six hundred years or so.  Luckily, you happen across a fellow that speaks English.  Upon hearing your tale, he describes you as nice, smart, and handsome.  Wouldn’t you feel good?   You shouldn’t.  As Sol Steinmetz in his book, Semantics Antics , explains; Nice originally meant someone who was foolish, ignorant, senseless, or absurd (middle English 1300). Smart for the first 300 years of its use meant causing pain, sharp, cutting, or severe, a sense that survives in the idiom "smart as a whip.” Handsome wasn’t complimentary. When coined around 1425, it just meant easily handled; it didn’t have its current positive connotation until 1590.   You might think he said you were a kind, intelligent, good looking bloke, when in reality he said you were a foolish pain easily dealt with.   Words have an annoying habit of changing meaning over time in the same language and it becomes even more compli...

Master Your Self

  In a contest for the toughest president of the United States, it would be hard to go against Theodore Roosevelt.  He was known for his “manly” pursuits hunting big game, climbing the Matterhorn, participating in boxing match while president. (These weren’t play fights, he lost the vision on one eye because of them!)  Once before he was about to give a speech an assassin shot him in the chest.  Roosevelt refused to go to a hospital and insisted on giving his speech, still wearing his blood-soaked shirt!   Teddy might have become tough but he wasn’t born that way.  He was a sickly child that suffered from severe asthma that almost proved fatal.  As was a young boy, doctors discovered that he had a weak heart, and advised him to get a desk job and not strain himself.  He was homeschooled because of his many illnesses and spent most of his time indoors.   But then as a teen his father, whom Teddy Roosevelt revered, told his son, “ ...

Why Does A Lion Tamer Use a Chair?

  Ok, I know you have seen the image. A lion tamer enters in the cage of the beast and forces it to obey his commands using a whip, a gun and a chair. Now you can see how the whip and gun could come in handy but you might be wondering why a chair would intimidate an animal as powerful as a lion? Clyde Beatty taming a lion with a chair   It's not that the lion is afraid of the chair -- it's that the lion is confused by the chair. Cats are single-minded, and the points of the chair's four legs bobbing around confuse the lion enough that it loses its train of thought. Casually put, the chair distracts the lion from wanting to claw the lion tamer's face off. The powerful creature could destroy the chair in moment’s notice but instead it is distracted into submission.  It’s not too much different than how Satan controls us today. By the power of God we could overcome anything that he would use to subdue us. We can overcome the evil one (1 st John 2:13-14). ...