Pardon the Interruption


   I’ll let you finish but first let me say one thing…


  One of the most annoying and frustrating things to do to someone is to interrupt them.[1]  Nothing makes you feel less important than to have someone take what you said in another direction before you can even get it said.  

  I’ve learned to deal with it by not taking it as an insult but enjoying it for its comic effect.  People that interrupt often sound very senseless and will have conversion that resemble a roller coaster more than an intelligent exchange of ideas. They jump to conclusions so fast it will spin your head and make points so absurd that it is a shame it isn’t a joke.  

  It is hard to make sense, when you don’t know what is going on.

He who gives an answer before he hears, It is folly and shame to him.
Proverbs 18:13

   However, the interrupter is becoming a pretty standard player in our world today.  Just watch any news program and it seems they think the only way to make a point is to yell over someone else.  I wonder if all the frustration in our political and social world doesn’t come back to the fact that everyone wants to talk and no one is willing to listen.

   So that makes the command we read in James 1:19 (“This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger;”)  all the more important.  If we want to gain understanding and alleviate anger, we have to shut our mouths and listen. Really listen! Not just wait till they stop talking so I can.

  Listen.  Seek to understand.  Then respond. 
 
  Now what were you saying?





[1] I know because everyone I do it to tells me

Comments

Popular Posts