What To Do When?


Normally I write something that attempts to be of use to others but this is more of an attempt to solicit advice.  Last Sunday night, I did a sermon on the need for parents to be involved in Bible class and church activities in order to be correct examples for their children.  More than one person told me that I should have done the sermon on Sunday morning.  I had considered it but felt that worked better for Sunday night (see next paragraph).  So preachers, what makes you do a sermon when?
My personal criteria that I use to determine if it is a Sunday morning or night lesson might be different than some.  I am not a big believer of doing “the best sermon when more people will hear them” line of thinking.  My idea is if you don’t best material at night, why will people want to come back.  This isn't really an issue with me as all my sermons are top level and there really is not “best material” (insert sarcasm mark)*. So, I make my judgments based on three criteria.
The first is audience. Sunday morning tends to be our most diverse crowd. As well it is put out on the local television, therefore increasing the variety of those that might hear it.  So I try to be more general in the lesson I do on Sunday nights.  The audience at night tends to be more of the “die hards” that be more open to a more specific topic or more in depth lesson.
The second is time. I have always had more time available on evening service than morning services.  Audiences tend to have a “best by” date and Sunday mornings have more happening, therefore less time.  If I feel a lesson will be a lot longer by the nature of the material studied, I have a tendency to move it to Sunday nights.
The third factor is related to teaseability.  OK, I made up that word but it fits.  Most Sunday’s after the lesson I will do a “thank you for being here” speech and “tease” of tonight’s sermon.  It is kind of like how radio shows will end each segment by giving a short preview about what will come up next to keep you listening thru the commercials. (Did a prophet of God really have a bear maul teenagers because they made fun of his bald head? Find out tonight at 6:00!)  I do this to give that extra push to people to return to services.  Since we tend to have a significant drop in attendance between service, I try to do something that might help. Some lessons you have an appeal because of curiosity, need or uniqueness. I will save some lesson for Sunday night because if I heard that teased I would want to make sure I heard it.
So you can see I do think about what I will preach when, but I think I still have a lot to learn. So fellow preachers, how do you pick what to do when? I would love to see your comments. You can post them to the blog or send them to me in a personal message. I will follow up in a week or so with some of the ideas you have.

Thanks,
Barry

* I know there is no such thing as the Sarcasm mark but wouldn't it be great if there was. I would save me a lot of explaining to people when my writings go askew.

Comments

  1. I think of the best Sunday morning Sermon as one that affects the broadest audience. You will more than likely have more visitors as well as more of your church members on Sunday morning. Where on a typical Sunday night you are talking more to your core group of members. They most likely are just meaning; that was such a good sermon I wish everyone could have been there to hear it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts