You Sound Like Your Father


   I discovered the older I get the more I sound like my father.  It seems all those oft repeated phrase my dad told me keep popping up in my life.  Like when the wife said something about buying something on sale to save money, I quipped, “You don’t save money by spending money” Or when the kids whine “I can’t do it” and I quickly respond “Can’t never could do nothing!”  It seems those little bits of wisdom did stick, no matter how much I tried to ignore them.
   Maybe the same thing happens to you. You notice how much your voice sounds like your parent’s voice.  It makes me think of what Jesus said to the disciples in John 14:23-24.  “Jesus answered and said to him, "If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode with him. "He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine, but the Father's who sent Me.”  Jesus sounded like his father because he came to bring his message.  The Father’s message was his message.
   We too need to sound like the Father.  In 1st Peter 4:11 we read, “Whoever speaks, is to do so as one who is speaking the utterances of God;” As we speak do we sound more like the world or more like the Christ?  Is the message of our lives in harmony with the message of God?  Do we sound like our heavenly Father?

Comments

Popular Posts