Of Ham & Cheese Sandwiches



     One of my favorite things in youth ministry is picking up and taking kids home. I enjoy it because it gives me a chance to visit with the young people. I have noticed however that many times they are more an influence on me than I am to them. For example, once of the kids happen to mention something about a hot ham and cheese sandwich. All during the devotion, I began to think how good a hot ham and cheese sandwich sounded. When I came home you can guess what I fixed myself for dinner. When Linda asked me what I was having I told her. She said “Why did you fix that?” I responded, “I don’t know, it just sounded good.” Not until later did I remember the earlier conversation. It goes to show how we can be subtlety influenced by those we are with.
     The Bible speaks of at least two ways that those around us can influence us, one positive and one negative. First Corinthians 15:33 says, "Do not be deceived: Bad company corrupts good morals." It warns us about how people can be a negative influence to our character. Hebrews 10:23-25 says “Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful; and let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds, not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near". This verse commands us to assemble together so we can encourage and spur each other to do good. Taken together it begs the question, "Who do we spend more time with, those that corrupt or those that build up?"

Comments

Popular Posts