Skip to main content

Lesson From Lunch

Monte will often times take me out to lunch. Last week not only did he buy me lunch but also taught me a valuable lesson. As we entered the restaurant, the manager made it a point to come by and say hello to Monte.  I asked Monte if he knew him but he replied not really, but he had talked to him on one of his last visits. He told me that when he came in to eat last time he had asked to talk to the manager. He told him how good the service had been and he was impressed with the way the restaurant had been run. He said that the man nearly fell over. Most of the time when someone asks to talk to the manger it is not a pleasant experience. He was overjoyed and even gave Monte a coupon as a thank you to use the next time he came back. It got me to thinking, as a person who often is irked about the service I receive, I never really compliment or express gratitude when I get what I expect to get. Just think what might change if I did. I think I've been amiss about this because I’ve just come to expect good service so I don’t act positively when I receive it. Should consistency remove our need to praise excellence? How many good works are done so well week in and week out in the church that we have come to expect it? Should we neglect to praise and reward those that do this because they are continually good at their work? How many elders and deacons and workers could be overjoyed if instead of coming with complaints, we take the time to praise them for a job well done?
Romans 13:7-8

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Know All Those Words, But That Sentence Makes No Sense To Me

  Let’s say you travel back in time six hundred years or so.  Luckily, you happen across a fellow that speaks English.  Upon hearing your tale, he describes you as nice, smart, and handsome.  Wouldn’t you feel good?   You shouldn’t.  As Sol Steinmetz in his book, Semantics Antics , explains; Nice originally meant someone who was foolish, ignorant, senseless, or absurd (middle English 1300). Smart for the first 300 years of its use meant causing pain, sharp, cutting, or severe, a sense that survives in the idiom "smart as a whip.” Handsome wasn’t complimentary. When coined around 1425, it just meant easily handled; it didn’t have its current positive connotation until 1590.   You might think he said you were a kind, intelligent, good looking bloke, when in reality he said you were a foolish pain easily dealt with.   Words have an annoying habit of changing meaning over time in the same language and it becomes even more compli...

Master Your Self

  In a contest for the toughest president of the United States, it would be hard to go against Theodore Roosevelt.  He was known for his “manly” pursuits hunting big game, climbing the Matterhorn, participating in boxing match while president. (These weren’t play fights, he lost the vision on one eye because of them!)  Once before he was about to give a speech an assassin shot him in the chest.  Roosevelt refused to go to a hospital and insisted on giving his speech, still wearing his blood-soaked shirt!   Teddy might have become tough but he wasn’t born that way.  He was a sickly child that suffered from severe asthma that almost proved fatal.  As was a young boy, doctors discovered that he had a weak heart, and advised him to get a desk job and not strain himself.  He was homeschooled because of his many illnesses and spent most of his time indoors.   But then as a teen his father, whom Teddy Roosevelt revered, told his son, “ ...

Why Does A Lion Tamer Use a Chair?

  Ok, I know you have seen the image. A lion tamer enters in the cage of the beast and forces it to obey his commands using a whip, a gun and a chair. Now you can see how the whip and gun could come in handy but you might be wondering why a chair would intimidate an animal as powerful as a lion? Clyde Beatty taming a lion with a chair   It's not that the lion is afraid of the chair -- it's that the lion is confused by the chair. Cats are single-minded, and the points of the chair's four legs bobbing around confuse the lion enough that it loses its train of thought. Casually put, the chair distracts the lion from wanting to claw the lion tamer's face off. The powerful creature could destroy the chair in moment’s notice but instead it is distracted into submission.  It’s not too much different than how Satan controls us today. By the power of God we could overcome anything that he would use to subdue us. We can overcome the evil one (1 st John 2:13-14). ...