You Didn’t Bother To Find Out Did You?


 A classic scene amongst many classic scenes in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, involves King Arthur asking a question to a peasant. “Old women”, He cries! The man then turns and replies, “I’m not a woman”. Arthur rebounds, “Man, sorry. Old Man..”. The peasant interrupts, “I’m thirty-seven, I’m not old! The king frustrated clamors, “Well I can't just call you man". The peasant then wonders why he doesn’t call him Dennis since that is his name. Arthur explains, “I didn't know you were called Dennis.” Then Dennis the peasant point out, “Well you didn't bother to find out, did you?”


  I wonder if this scene is something akin to how many approach God. We cry out to God thinking him something he isn’t or thinking he will do something he doesn’t. Yet God tries to reveal his nature and his will to us but we are too hung up on our own desire to give it much attention. So we grow frustrated with God wondering why He isn’t responding ‘correctly’ to us. All the while God is wondering if we are ever going to bother to find out about him, so he can bless us with true blessing.

You ask and do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, so that you may spend it on your pleasures.
James 4:3
 I wonder how many on Judgement Day will flail about, trying to justify themselves, crying out, “I didn’t know that is what you wanted” “ I didn’t know you required that” “I never considered it was wrong”!


  Shouldn’t we have bothered to find out?

Comments

Popular Posts