Skip to main content

All Charged Up


 I first noticed it on a trip, my phone had been plugged in the car but it was almost dead when I arrived. Weird. I figured the car charger was on the fritz. Then one night it didn’t charge. I began to see that something was wrong with my phone, my relatively new phone that I paid a lot of good money for. So I called the company.

  You know how that went. I tried to talk to a person that wasn’t a native English speaker while they said my name over and over and they were going to be helpful. I just wanted my phone fixed. They said they would send me a new charger.

  I wasn’t happy. I'd tried several different chargers on the phone and it had the same problem. Why weren’t they helping me! So after some voice raising, they agreed to send me a new phone.

  I still wasn’t happy. Now it was going to be a week without my phone! So I tried to plug it in one more time.

  You know what happened next. It charged perfectly. I tried again. It worked again.

  I wasn’t happy. I go thru all this rigmarole and now it’s working! So I pouted and tried to figure my next move.

  The next day the phone battery ran down and I plugged it in and well you know what happened. It wouldn’t charge.

I was happy. At least for a moment, you see it was broken and getting a new phone was a good idea. Then I wasn't happy when I realized I was once again going to be without my phone for a week.

 Then I wasn’t so happy.


  Our moods can go up and down faster than a cell phone with a bad charger.  Whatever happens, we can always find the dark side, never satisfied, always looking with longing to the other side even after we have crossed over to the other side. You can’t make us happy:

"To what then shall I compare the men of this generation, and what are they like? They are like children who sit in the market place and call to one another, and they say, 'We played the flute for you, and you did not dance; we sang a dirge, and you did not weep.'”
Luke 7:31-35

  Which is sad in itself since contentment is a Christian virtue.  Yet the faithful seem to struggle with it as much as the unbeliever. We’re never quite satisfied with what we have, always longing, always wondering, (maybe wandering) looking for something better. And yet with that, we are never happy either.

But godliness actually is a means of great gain when accompanied by contentment.
1st Timothy 6:6

 Contentment isn’t found in how many zero’s we have at the end of our bank account or what kind of car we drive or what acclaims we receive. It’s not getting what we want but wanting what we get. It is seeing how good we have it; not the difficulties that crop up along the way.

Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.  I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.
Philippians 4:11-13

  As a Christian, I should be content no matter what since I have Christ. Anything extra is dessert. The little troubles in no way compare to the eternal rewards (2nd Corinthians 4:17).


  If I can’t be happy in Christ, then nothing can make me happy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Know All Those Words, But That Sentence Makes No Sense To Me

  Let’s say you travel back in time six hundred years or so.  Luckily, you happen across a fellow that speaks English.  Upon hearing your tale, he describes you as nice, smart, and handsome.  Wouldn’t you feel good?   You shouldn’t.  As Sol Steinmetz in his book, Semantics Antics , explains; Nice originally meant someone who was foolish, ignorant, senseless, or absurd (middle English 1300). Smart for the first 300 years of its use meant causing pain, sharp, cutting, or severe, a sense that survives in the idiom "smart as a whip.” Handsome wasn’t complimentary. When coined around 1425, it just meant easily handled; it didn’t have its current positive connotation until 1590.   You might think he said you were a kind, intelligent, good looking bloke, when in reality he said you were a foolish pain easily dealt with.   Words have an annoying habit of changing meaning over time in the same language and it becomes even more compli...

Master Your Self

  In a contest for the toughest president of the United States, it would be hard to go against Theodore Roosevelt.  He was known for his “manly” pursuits hunting big game, climbing the Matterhorn, participating in boxing match while president. (These weren’t play fights, he lost the vision on one eye because of them!)  Once before he was about to give a speech an assassin shot him in the chest.  Roosevelt refused to go to a hospital and insisted on giving his speech, still wearing his blood-soaked shirt!   Teddy might have become tough but he wasn’t born that way.  He was a sickly child that suffered from severe asthma that almost proved fatal.  As was a young boy, doctors discovered that he had a weak heart, and advised him to get a desk job and not strain himself.  He was homeschooled because of his many illnesses and spent most of his time indoors.   But then as a teen his father, whom Teddy Roosevelt revered, told his son, “ ...

Why Does A Lion Tamer Use a Chair?

  Ok, I know you have seen the image. A lion tamer enters in the cage of the beast and forces it to obey his commands using a whip, a gun and a chair. Now you can see how the whip and gun could come in handy but you might be wondering why a chair would intimidate an animal as powerful as a lion? Clyde Beatty taming a lion with a chair   It's not that the lion is afraid of the chair -- it's that the lion is confused by the chair. Cats are single-minded, and the points of the chair's four legs bobbing around confuse the lion enough that it loses its train of thought. Casually put, the chair distracts the lion from wanting to claw the lion tamer's face off. The powerful creature could destroy the chair in moment’s notice but instead it is distracted into submission.  It’s not too much different than how Satan controls us today. By the power of God we could overcome anything that he would use to subdue us. We can overcome the evil one (1 st John 2:13-14). ...