He Is Much Better Than Me

As comedian Demetri Martin put it:  “I heard this guy on the subway say "I'm good at checkers" ...which is like saying "I'm not good at a lot of things


  People tend to brag.  The funny thing is people brag about everything, even the things that are nothing to brag about.  Actions that make them look foolish, matters no one else really cares about, behavior they should be ashamed of not proud of.

  We all want to be noticed even. Like little kids, we seek attention even if it isn’t the right kind of attention. Boasting is a way to elevate ourselves in at least some fashion.

  Which makes Paul’s statement in 2nd Corinthians 11:30 all that more interesting.

If I have to boast, I will boast of what pertains to my weakness.
2nd Corinthians 11:30

  If Paul has to speak about himself it’s not the things that make him great. And he had plenty of that. Rather, he would speak of his weakness, the things he struggled with, his mistakes, his flaws.  It wasn’t just for attention sake.

  His boasts were to show God’s nature
Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.
2nd Corinthians 12:9

  Paul’s talk of himself was designed to bring glory to God and him closer to Him. I may not be great at a lot of things but Christ in my life makes me something worth talking about. I may be weak but He is strong. I might lose, but in Him, I have great gain.


  Just as it is written, "LET HIM WHO BOASTS, BOAST IN THE LORD."

Comments

Popular Posts