What Are You Singing?

  Over the years I will often times have song leaders that will ask me the topic of my lessons so that they can pick song that will fit, especially the invitation song.  I glad they do but I’ll admit that I don’t make it easy with on title alone[1].  The invitation song can be that tipping point that might make someone respond. A song that flows along with the message can be very effective in that process.

   However, I noticed that many times people already have their own invitation song.

  Not that we have everyone signing their own tune but rather the song of their heart and mind that is influencing their response.

  Your see some are singing, “I Shall Not Be Moved”.  No matter what the lesson was about, no matter how important it is that they make a change, they are firmly planted where they are, refusing to budge.

  For some their invitation song is “Farther Along”. The message may have hit home but the thinking is the response can be delayed. Sometime farther along I make a change, farther along I’ll obey the gospel, farther along I’ll repent.

  Other might be singing, “Is It For Me”. The lesson was about them and how they need to be living right and it sure would be great if someone else steps into the aisle, never considering their own soul’s state.

  Other might be on a chorus of “Faith of Our Father’s”. I don’t need to respond since my family is faithful. Dad was a preacher; Mom was a bible class teacher, I good since they were. What this person fails to realize that each one will be judged not for our father’s faith but for our own.

  It might be their song is “When This Passing World Is Done”. They would respond but not until they get done with all the things of the world.  If I make a commitment to Christ then I have to give up the ways of the world and I not ready to do that.

  But there are those that hear in their hearts, “I Am Resolved”. They know what they need to do and have taken the courageous step to do just that. That there is danger in delay and no one can do it for me, so I much do what the scriptures teach me to do.

  When the next invitation is offered, what will you be singing?



[1] For instance my recent sermon on “Why You Shouldn’t Eat Meat” on 1st Corinthians 8, not one vegetarian song in the book

Comments

Popular Posts