Let Me Not Tell You Something


  It seems nowadays everybody got an opinion on everything.

  Well, maybe that has always been that way but we didn’t have all the ways to express it in such a public manner. Facebook, Twitter, blog posts, email chains.  Whatever issue happens to pop up in a given day, I see so many folks quick to spew out their takes as if they were the end all and be all of the matter.

  I think us preachers are the worst.  Maybe we get so used to people listening to us each week we think that it is us they are coming to listen to.  That just because an idea came into our head, its a gold plated diamond that must be given to everyone to look at and admire.

   Truth is just because a man is a minister of the gospel it doesn’t make him an expert in every subject.  He’s not a political expert, business leader, constriction whiz, social guru, dietary genius, genius psychologist or great thinker.  He just a man tasked with repeating and reminding the world of God’s truth.  That doesn’t however make keep him from thinking he is.

  That is why you have to admire what the apostle Paul says in 1st Corinthians chapter two.

And when I came to you, brethren, I did not come with superiority of speech or of wisdom, proclaiming to you the testimony of God. For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified. I was with you in weakness and in fear and in much trembling, and my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, so that your faith would not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God.
1st Corinthians 2:1-5 
  Here Paul, by all accounts a great writer, a great preacher, a great thinker, doesn’t think himself much of any of that.  Rather than rely on his own expertise, he focuses solely on teaching Jesus Christ and him crucified.  Why?

  Because he knows that if they believe because they think Paul is so smart and so special, it will all fall apart when Paul messes up or Paul gets it wrong or Paul doesn’t have the answer.  But if his words are the Holy Spirit inspired truth, their faith will rest on the unfailing, inerrant, and perfect word of God. It won’t just be based on his opinion but on Truth.

  He isn’t the expert, God is.

 You see, I don’t have to know the answers for everything; I just have to know the One that does. I don’t have to know it all but I do have to know the All in All. I might not be now which direction is up but I can point you to the one is the Way!


  I may not know much, but I know Jesus Christ and that is enough.

Comments

Popular Posts