My Boy Was Just Like Me



   All boys at some point in their life try to be just like their dad. They comb their hair like dad. They put on a tie like dad. The talk like him, walk like him, emulate him in what he does.  Then at some point they do just the opposite, they distance themselves trying to be their own man.  However, most grown men will tell you that even after that they still have a lot of their father in them, for better or for worse.

   In John 8:44 Jesus condemns a group of people for acting like their Father;
You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.
   Here Jesus is warning these men that in rejecting the truth about him and creating lies about him, they are showing who their true father is. Not the God of Heaven but Satan himself.

   I know I have many good traits I picked up from my dad. I hope my son is able to say the same thing. I also know I have things about myself I hope my son doesn’t emulate.  I want to be the kind of father that when my kids do the right thing people say they are like their dad.


   So then what do my actions today say about who my Father is? Not my earthly father but my spiritual father. Do my words and life reflect the Holy Father or to they hold more to the father of lies?

Comments

Popular Posts