There Is No I In Team But There Are Several In Submission



  Ok I know it is dirty word to some.  Some folks might to get upset that I am talking about it but I think it something that must be taught in the Lord’s church.  It’s a Biblical concept that is you have to work to avoid in the New Testament.
It is the idea of submission.

  The Bible has a lot to say about submission.  It tells us we need to submit to God (James 4:7), human institutions like governments and police (1 Peter 2:13), our church leaders (Hebrews 13:17), our masters, like bosses and teachers (1st Peter 2:18, Titus 2:9).  It even commands submission on a personal level, wives to their husband (1st Peter 3:1), young men to their elders (1st Peter 5:5), and even to each other (Ephesians 5:21).   Now I know we live in a world that demands our “rights” and refuses to take a back seat to anyone, but for a true Christian submission isn't just a suggestion, it is a command.

  I know what you’re thinking submission is needed…. for other people.  This world sure would be a better place if everyone else let go of their opinions and did what I think they should.  But that is exactly the point.  Submission isn’t for other people, it is for me! I have a God given responsibility to set my own wants and desire for others.

  I balk at the number of times I will be among Christians that will ignore the rules of an authority.  The sign say no outside food or drink; well I’m not throwing out my coffee!  The nursery say no children over this age, well little Johnny is older than that but they can make an exception for me.  The van is leaving at 5:30, well I’m running late so they better still be there or I will flip my lid!  The regulation says you must have this feature installed in you building, but we think it is foolish so we will just ignore it.  Who are they to tell me what to do! I’ll do what I want! The rules don’t apply to me, I’m special. I demand special treatment! I’m entitled to more!

Is this kind of attitude submission?

  The Bible doesn't tell us to submit to laws we like and agree with and bosses that are fair, In fact is says just the opposite! (1st Peter 2:18, Romans 13:5)  But to hear us talk you would think the Bible says nothing about the need to submit. We have become so opinionated, so sure that we are right about everything, so convinced of our superiority that the idea of purposely putting oneself in a lower place has become an absurd notion to us.  This habit of defiance to anyone that tells us what to do is a dangerous one for the those seeking God's favor. Why? Consider this verse;
“God is opposed to the proud but give grace to the humble”
(James 4:6, 1 Peter 5:5)


  We better learn to submit or God will humble us.  Since this is a “me” thing more than a “we” and defiantly not a “you” thing, I better start with me.  I need to let go of something I want for the benefit of others.  I need to do something because I was told to rather than because it was be easy on me.  I need to take my self-interest and superiority and set it aside for the benefit of others.  I need to serve rather than be served.  I need to be less concern about what I am due and just obey, even if it kills me.  If I manage to do that, now who would I end up being like?

Comments

Popular Posts