Teaching Kids To Burn Books

   Once upon a time some of the youth approached me about a service project. They had noticed how the songbook’s bookmark had become frayed. We decide to  come up with a way keep them from getting worse. After some experimentation, we found the best way was to slightly burn the ends.  In order to fix all the books quickly, I bought some cheap lighters and gave them to the kids. 
   But I was amazed at how many kids did not know how to use a lighter. One of the girls pointed out to me that it wasn’t necessarily a bad thing! Most of a lighters common uses are not activities that we would want our kids to be involved in. 
  It reminded me of the verse in Romans 16:19 that says, “For the report of your obedience has reached to all; therefore I am rejoicing over you, but I want you to be wise in what is good and innocent in what is evil.”  We live in an age that is filled with all kinds of bad information. Wise Christians know such information may exist but it is not something we should seek to learn.  Remember the words found in 1 Thessalonians 5:21-22, “But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good; Abstain from every form of evil.” 

Comments

Popular Posts