That’s Who I Am


  People define themselves in a lot of curious ways. The car they drive, the team they pull for, the brand names they wear, the activities they participate in. We even define ourselves by others. I am a fan of this band and follow this person.

  It is not a new phenomenon. In the first century, there were those in Corinth who were defining themselves by popular teachers. I am of Paul, I am of Apollos. Like so many today that name their churches after a person or a practice.

  Yet it is clear in the scriptures that isn’t who or what should define us.  As we read in 1st Corinthians 3:4-5,  “For when one says, "I am of Paul," and another, "I am of Apollos," are you not mere men? What then is Apollos? And what is Paul? Servants through whom you believed, even as the Lord gave opportunity to each one”.  Our identity should not rest in men but in Christ.  Who I am should be focused on the Great I AM.

  There are great teachers I can learn from. There are things that I can enjoy. There are some practices that can help me in my life. But those things should not at the heart of how I define myself. To know who I am I must learn about Him.

Comments

Popular Posts