I Woke You Up

  For 364 days of the year growing up, I was not the easiest child to get out of bed. If the circumstances required me to be out of bed at a particular time it usually involved cajoling, threats, and occasionally a glass of cold water.

 Yet on one day of the year, I was ‘up and at em’ way too early. In fact, it became a requirement for me to yell out from my room “Can I get up yet”?  Can you guess what day that was?


  If you have not figured it out, it was a day that started with presents under the Christmas tree. You see on that day, there was something worth being awake early.

   There is a common phrase in scripture (Ephesians 5:14, Romans 13:11-12, 1st Thessalonians 5:6-7) that links being asleep to folks in a dangerous spiritual condition. When it comes to the things of the Lord, we are just kind of out of it. We like a kid in the morning, barely awake wanting to stay in bed.

    Maybe we would be more awake, if like a kid at Christmas, we focused on what was awaiting us. The blessing of God that comes to those who are eagerly anticipating them. Instead of being a church asleep at the wheel. We were bouncing in our beds ready to go.

  If we are asleep spiritually it may be because we are not thinking there is something to be awake for.  But the presence of God is something we should be excited for!

Comments

Popular Posts