Just Believe in God?



  I believe in God. For some, that is the mantra of faith. There is nothing else needed. No church, no doctrine, no plan, no action. As long as someone acknowledges the existence of deity, that is all that is required to have faith.

 However, that isn’t what the scriptures teach.

You believe that God is one. You do well; the demons also believe, and shudder
James 2:19 
  James tells us the demons believe. Paul in his expose of the fall of man from God in Romans 1 doesn’t say man denies God’s existence but rather tries to replace God’s true nature with one more fitting with man’s desires.  Rather than say there is no God they instead say No to God.

 The Hebrews writer tells us that faith is more than just a simple belief in God:
And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.
Hebrews 11:6

  It’s not just belief in God but belief in what he says he is going to do. Not just to believe in God but to believe God. Lots of folks will not deny the existence of God but will deny him in what he claims to be. And that isn’t faith, at least not the kind of faith that can save.

 If I say I believe in God but reject the Son that he sent, I don’t have faith. If I say I believe in God but refuse to heed his words, I don’t believe Him. If I say I believe in God and reject the means in which it is possible to live with him that belief won’t make it possible.

If we really believe God we must listen to what he says.

Comments

Popular Posts