Learning Not To Like It



  I have a friend that has a food aversion to eggs. He is not allergic but he still can’t eat them.  When he was young, he almost choked to death while eating an egg.  Now, when he even smells eggs cooking, his throat closes up and he feels that panic of choking.

  I can hardly imagine his fate. I love eggs. I think of them like Forrest Gump’s friend Bubba thought about shrimp. Fry them, boil them, scramble them make a sandwich out of them, I don’t care I will eat them! If I couldn’t eat eggs it would be a tragedy.

  I guess that is unless they almost killed me…

  Therefore consider the members of your earthly body as dead to immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed, which amounts to idolatry.
Colossians 3:5

  There are lots of behaviors that the world engages in that could be enjoyed, in a perverse way. For some new (and some not so new) Christians, there is a draw back into those old ways. We crave the sin like I crave a tray of deviled eggs. The only way to stop the desire is to link it to its result, death.

Therefore what benefit were you then deriving from the things of which you are now ashamed? For the outcome of those things is death.
Romans 6:21

  We need to develop a sin aversion. Instead of letting our mind wander into the temporary pleasure of sin, we need to be shocked by the eternal result of it. It might taste good going down but it will strangle us in its wake.  

Comments

Popular Posts