Ungodly Ways


   Let's take a look at Jude 1:15-16:
to execute judgment upon all, and to convict all the ungodly of all their ungodly deeds which they have done in an ungodly way, and of all the harsh things which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him."


   Here Jude brings the hammer down on the ungodly.  They will be convicted for their deeds, judged for their way and punished for the harsh things they have done.  
   Now when he rails against the ungodly, who do you have in mind? Murders? Rapist? Drug Dealers? It has to be the worst people in society, the dregs of the human race. After all, think about how many times he calls them ungodly?
 
   So who does Jude have in mind?

   Well he tells us exactly in verse 16, “These are grumblers, finding fault, following after their own lusts; they speak arrogantly, flattering people for the sake of gaining an advantage”.

   What? Complaining? Nitpicking? Pandering? Sweet talking? These are the ungodly?

   When we view the dangers of sin we often have a hierarchy much different than God. We think in term of “big sins” and “little sins”.  In God’s eyes however sin is sin.  We may think someone that steals from a church is the lowest of the low, but God has the same indignation for one complains about it as well.  We would never kill someone but are fine with assassinating his character. Jesus, however said something entirely different (Matthew 5:22).

   I don't want to be lumped in with the ungodly. If I understand this passage correctly the ungodly encompasses a little large territory than maybe I’ve thought in the past.  The next time I'm quick to complain or find fault, when I using people for my gain rather than theirs, when I allow my selfishness to define my moral, I need to think back and remember what company that puts me in!


Comments

Popular Posts