Monday Morning Scatter Shooting



Monday Morning Scatter Shooting while wondering why I like all of the music in my iTunes, except when it's on shuffle, then I like about one in every fifteen songs in my iTunes?

Jeff Jenkins had a wonderful post (http://thejenkinsinstitute.com/2013/02/top-10-things-preachers-love-about-preaching-at-least-the-preachers-we-contacted-for-this-article/) about the great things about being a preacher.  One item that wasn't on the list was how preachers get to work mostly with Christians.  As a preacher, my coworkers are Christians. My bosses are Christians. The people I have meeting with are Christians.  Now any good preacher has his dealing with the world but he does have a much better work environment than most of the average members do.  Preachers don’t have to deal with a lot of the worldly things that an everyday job does. The dishonesty, sexual talk, the three martini lunches, all the negative influence the world has on the market place.  Preachers do have some unique difficulties (and sometimes we get focused on them) but we do get to work for and with the best people on earth. There are no more desirable people to be with than true Christians!  I think on my favorite experiences in my life, they most exclusively were alongside Christians.  People that love one another, serve one another and live lives of moral excellence. Heaven will be a wonderful place if not just for the fact that it will be filled with Christians!

    If you want to be a better Bible class teacher, ask better questions. I think one of best learning experience for me was writing camp material that was designed to be questions to elicit discussion and have the students look to their Bibles for answers.  I found very quickly that simple “fill in the blank questions” (Now where did Jesus go….) couldn't fill anytime and had a negative reaction.  Good questions make you think, no just repeat what has already been said. Good questions stir you to go deeper not search for what the person is getting at. 
Look at how Jesus asked questions[1],
       "Which of these three do you think proved to be a neighbor to the man who fell into the robbers' hands?”
“Who do men say that I am? Who do You say that I am?”
"For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same?  "If you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same?”
Notice how his questions, even if they had an obvious answer, made you think about why that answer is the answer.  Questions are the most powerful instructive tool teachers can have.  Don’t think I will come up with questions off the cuff.  Write them out beforehand.  Make sure they are good.  Use them to guide your audience to the truth so they can discover it for themselves

    Finally, the new preacher was greeting the members after his lesson, when a man walked up to him and said, “That sermon was too long” and walks away.  The preacher is taken aback but shakes the comment off.  The next week after a shorter message, the same man comes up to him and remarks, “I thought preachers were supposed know more about what they were speaking about.” and walks away.  The preacher feels a little insulted but vows to wow the man next week with a well research in-depth lesson.  Sure enough the same man come to him after the lesson and say, “If that is what settles for preaching nowadays, I’m just going to stay at home!”  The preacher is now very concerned and goes to one of the elders to ask for his help.  The preacher points out the man to the elder and says “that fellow over there, I worried I have offended and I might have run him off. The elders smiles and says, “Don’t worry about Tom, he is a little off in the head, but he is no harm.” The preacher is relieved until till the elder continues, “Tom doesn’t know much of anything, he just repeats what he hears everyone else saying.”



[1] I could write a book on how Jesus asked questions, or at least several classes. Don’t anybody else do this, it was my idea first

Comments

Popular Posts