The Evel Knievel Of Unity

  I often read odd news stories looking for illustrations. Sometimes I come across one that I just can’t figure out. Like the recent report of an Indiana “pastor” of a community church that broke his wrist as he fell off the stage during a sermon. It happened when he attempted to illustrate a lesson on unity by driving a dirt bike on the stage and lost control. I’ve wracked my brain trying to figure out what a dirt bike and unity have in common but so far I’ve come up short. I guess some folks just have a different view of unity. 
  But unity isn’t some kind of gimmick; it only comes through united beliefs. Ephesians 4:3- 6 tells us, “be diligent to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit, just as also you were called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all who is over all and through all and in all.” Religious unity comes not from accepting all differences but uniting in the oneness the Bible teaches.

Comments

Popular Posts