Closed for Summer?

One summer in my teen years, a group of us were discussing religion. The conversation had started when my friends had asked me where I had been that morning. I had told them I had gone to church, and one of the girls told me she would have gone but her “church” didn’t have service that day. When I asked why her why, her response was, “Well we take off from services in the summer, since everyone is so busy and traveling it’s just easier to not have church.” Even to this day that answer still blows my mind. I guess at least it was honest. Unfortunately, many wouldn’t officially adopt the policy but do the same thing in practice. Summer vacations and recreation pull people away from regular attendance. The worship of God and the building up of his people is something He has commanded us to do, not just when it is easy or convenient but each week. A true relationship with God is not something we should ever “take off” from.

Comments

Popular Posts